DAL RECIPE OR TOOR DAL TOMATO CURRY
This is a very delicious Indian curry recipe, The main sources of the toor dal tomato curry are red gram dal and pieces of tomato.
The toor dal and tomatoes are highly appreciated for its nutritional value. They are rich in vitamins and minerals. Toor dal is high in proteins and dietary fiber.
Toor dal tomato curry is also known as red gram tomato curry or tamata pappu. This curry is a very delicious recipe and simple to prepare. This is an Indian recipe and a healthy recipe. This is a method for dal recipe.
PAPPU TAMATA KOORA
DAl RECIPE, TOOR DAL TOMATO CURRY RECIPE
PAPPU TAMATA KOORA
Ingredients for toor dal tomato curry or pappu tamata koora
1. Toor dal or red gram dal – 200 grams ( 1 cup )
2. Pieces of tomato – 200 grams ( 3 cups )
3. Onions – 50 grams
4. Green chillies – 4
5. Red chillies – 4
6. Salt – to taste
7. Mixed red chilli powder – 1 table spoon
8. Water – as needed
9. Oil – 3 table spoons
10. Curry leaves – 20
11. Ginger – 5 grams
12. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
13. Cumin seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
14. Garlic cloves – 8
Mixed red chilli powder is a mixture of red chilli powder, mustard seeds powder, fenugreek seeds powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder, turmeric powder and crushed garlic cloves. They are in a ratio of 10 : 1 : 1 : 1 : 1 : 2 : 1/8 respectively.
DAL TOMATO RECIPE OR TOOR DAL TOMATO CURRY
Method of preparation for Toor dal tomato curry or pappu tamata kura :
Wash and cut the vegetables for Toor dal tomato curry or tamata pappu koora
1. Wash and clean the fresh and ripe tomatoes, onions, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves in running clean water.
2. Remove the stalks of onions. Peel the onions and cut them into small pieces. Remove the stalks of green chillies and cut them into long pieces.
3. Peel the ginger and cut it into small cubes. Remove the stalks of red chillies and cut them into small pieces. Peel the garlic cloves.
4. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Drain the curry leaves. Keep all these items aside
TAMATAR TOOR DAL CURRY
Soak the toor dal for toor dal tamatar curry or pappu tamata koora
1. First pick up stones from the red gram dal. Wash the dal and drain them.
2. Soak the toor dal in enough ( 1 cup toor dal – 1 1/2 cup water ) water for an hour. Keep this bowl aside.
Cook the toor dal for toor dal tomato curry or tamata pappu
1. Cook the soaked red gram dal in a pressure cooker on high flame. Pressure cook the lentils for 4 whistles or until the toor dal is softened and well cooked. Then switch off the stove.
2. Let the pressure go down by itself. Then open the lid and put the cooked dal bowl outside the cooker. Mash the cooked dal and keep this aside.
Cook the tomato for toor dal tomato curry or pappu tamata koora
1. Then add the pieces of tomatoes to the dal, mix them well and cook them until the pieces cooked completely.
2. Keep a lid on the pan and cook the mixture on low flame for about three minutes. Switch off stove.
Fry the ingredients for tur dal tomato curry or pappu tamata koora
1. Place a pan on the stove and heat the pan. Pour oil into it. When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and fry them till they splutter.
2. Then add garlic cloves, pieces of ginger, cumin seeds, the pieces of onions, green chillies and curry leaves to them.
3. Mix them well and fry them till the colour of them changes slightly.
4. Then add salt and mixed red chilli powder to them, sprinkle 10 ml of water and stir them well.
Add the dal tomato mixture for toor dal tomato curry or pappu tamata koora
1. Then add the mixture of dal tomatoes to the seasoning pan, mix them well and fry them slightly.
2. Keep a lid on the pan and cook the mixture on low flame for about ten minutes.
Cook the mixture for toor dal tomato curry or pappu tomato koora
1. In this time every three minutes, remove the lid and stir them well to prevent them from getting burnt.
2. If you desire, to bring it to a consistency, add more water or evaporate the water by cooking .
4. When the pieces are cooked completely, switch off the stove, transfer the toor dal tomato curry or pappu tamata kura to a bowl and serve with hot rice, roti and chapathi.
How to make dal tomato curry
How to make toor dal tomato curry
How to make red gram dal tomato curry
1. Wash and soak red gram dal.
2. Cook dal in a pressure cooker.
3. Add tomato pieces to dal and cook them well.
4. Heat a pan with oil add the seasoning ingredients and fry them well.
5. Add mixed red chilli powder and salt to them .
6. Pour the dal tomato mixture in the seasoning pan and mix them well.
7. Cook the mixture fir some time and switch off stove.
8. Serve red gram dal tomato curry with hot rice, roti and chapathi.
Notes for tamata pappu or tomato toor dal : –
1. Vegetables would be washed with salted water and then in running clean water.
2. We must always use fresh, smooth and ripen tomatoes for good taste.
3. Do not use much water for cooking as it will not give good taste.
4. In this preparation, the quantity of the ingredients used and time can be changed according to your taste and opinion.
5. Do not cook the tomatoes in pressure cooker as it get over cooked and most nutrients are lost.
Note : The taste of a curry depends on freshness of ingredients, water and method of cooking.